When it comes to self-care, one of the biggest misconceptions is that it takes a ton of time and effort to make it work. This couldn’t be further from the truth. If you’re new to the self-care arena, all of the tips, tricks and ideas floating around on the internet can be overwhelming and leave you feeling lost and unsure about how to start. The good news is, no matter how new you are to the space, a self-care routine isn’t difficult to begin.
Here are 5 simple ways for a beginner to develop a self-care routine that really works.
- Get Moving: One of the best things you can do to kickstart a self-care routine is to simply move your body and start exercising regularly. By exercise, I don’t mean you have to join a gym, buy a bunch of weights or invest in expensive videos or workout apps – just make the decision to take on a more active lifestyle. Make a list of any and all activities you enjoy – walking, hiking, dancing, swimming, yoga, running, etc. Set aside 30 minutes a day and get your blood pumping.
- Make Yourself Laugh: A simple self-care idea for beginners is to find ways to bring more laughter into your life. You may have heard the saying, “Laughter is the best medicine,” and it really is. Laughter releases endorphins into your body which boosts your mood and just makes you feel good. With that being said – make time for a good belly laugh. Have lunch with a friend and re-live old times. Watch a comedian that you love. Read the comics. Get in touch with your inner 6-year-old and do something silly just for the fun of it. Finding different ways to laugh each day is a great way to kickstart your self-care routine.
- Journaling: Keep a journal and start each day by writing down your thoughts. It doesn’t have to be cohesive or orderly – just jot down whatever it is that comes to mind. When you de-clutter your mind on paper ahead of time, you’ll be able to kick off the day with a clear head. Journaling is also a great way to dig deeper and get in touch with your true thoughts and feelings which is a huge part of self-care. We have a plethora of thoughts buzzing around in our head at any given moment – this is a quick and easy way to sort them out and give importance to the ones that matter.
- Unplug: We are connected to the world through social media, yet we miss so many moments by having our heads stuck in our phones. Unplugging and allowing yourself to be present and in the moment is one of the greatest acts of self-love that you can give yourself. Schedule time each day to detach yourself from social media and recharge your mind and body instead. Turn off notifications, put your phone down and step outside to breathe the fresh air and notice the beauty all around you.
- Create Something: Get in touch with your inner artist, baker, writer, etc, and make something just for fun. It doesn’t have to be perfect. It doesn’t even have to be good. Just allow yourself to play and get messy. Try your hand at something new or finish a project that’s been on your mind forever. What is something that you’ve always wanted to try but never allowed yourself to do? What did you enjoy as a child? Give yourself the chance to explore and make creation a part of your daily self-care routine.
Implementing a self-care routine is pretty easy, even for a beginner. Try a few of these ideas to kickstart your routine. Do small, simple things each day to keep your momentum going and you’ll be a self-care pro before you know it.
E.G. Sebastian, is a Business-Development Coach, Corporate Trainer, and founder of Corporate Speaker Academy where he helps coaches, consultants, and authors break into the world of delivering Workshops, Group Coaching programs, or Keynotes to corporate teams. Learn more about E.G. at www.egSebstian.com and connect with him on LinkedIn.